23rd February 1955, Wednesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Graeme
Site Admin

23rd February 1955, Wednesday

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:41 am

Day number 7352Site Date Map
Yesterday << 23rd February 1955, Wednesday >> Tomorrow

Remaining in Arkansas, Elvis Presley and the group of performers stopped at the Auditorium of Watson Chapel High School in Pine Bluff. Seats were 75-cents in advance and $1.00 at the box office. There were two shows, at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. According to a later published reports (Pine Bluff Commercial, September 11, 1977), Vernon and Gladys Presley were on hand for this concert, and following the show everyone ate a late supper at Pine Bluff's Hob
Nob Restaurant.

Seeking bookings for Elvis Presley all over the country, the Colonel contacts A.V. ''Bam'' Bamford, an influential promoter who first gained prominence in Nashville by booking Hank Williams in the early fifties, now located in California. Parker informs Bamford that Elvis is ''a great artist but will need lots of buildup before he's a good investment''.

According to Allene Wilson, ''Anyone who would call a sixteen-year-old girl 'ma'am' was brought up right''. Wilson grew up in Arkansas and began singing publicly at age three. She sang country for the Arkansas Hayride and was a part of the Tommy Trent radio program. She still recalls the morning, just as the radio show finished, when Elvis Presley walked into the studio. ''He was to perform in concert at Pine Bluff High School that night with Hank Snow and some other country artists. They were there to do radio spots to play during the day. Elvis came in and said, 'Hello, Ma'am'. I don't remember him saying anything else. He just sat down at the piano and started playing Christmas songs''.

Allene Wilson knew Jim Ed and Bonnie Brown, two other country stars, so Elvis did not intimidate her. She knew who he was, liked his music, and bought his records.

''I just immediately sat down beside him. He played ''Crying In The Chapel'', Amazing Grace'', and ''Peace In The Valley'', and I sang them along with him. What stood out most was his shyness. He was very polite, and he came across as a really nice person who didn't know he was a good person. He was just mot comfortable being in the limelight''.

Singer Bonnie Brown said, ''I remember he performed in Pine Bluff at the Pine Bluff High School with the Carters, and they all came to our house, where Mom had fixed a hyge dinner for them''.

Bonnie's sister Maxine Brown remembers, ''They came to our little house at 34 Cypress Drive. My, that was a time! Elvis was in charge of the evening's entertainment. He played piano and got all of us singing, the Brown Trio, Mother Maybelle Carter and her daughters. That night, Elvis was at his very best. He was sweet and gracious, showing that winning side of his nature'', she said.

Graeme
Site Admin

Re: 23rd February 1955, Wednesday

Post by Graeme » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Return to “February 1955”