September 1972 in general

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Site Date Map

ColinB

Re: September 1972 in general

Post by ColinB » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:48 pm

These photos of Elvis visiting Dave Hebler's home [or studio] wearing an odd choice of headgear are often dated as 'September, 1972':

At Dave Hebler's House [3].jpg
At Dave Hebler's in Sept 1972 with girls.jpg
Dave Hebler's daughters - Lorie 12 & Kristie 11
At Dave Hebler's in Sept 1972 with girls.jpg (7.82 KiB) Viewed 993 times
At Dave Hebler's House.jpg
Dave Hebler on left
At Dave Hebler's House [2].jpg
Dave Hebler on left
With Barry Elwood at Dave Hebler's House [3].jpg
With Barry Elwood
At Dave Hebler's House [4].jpg
Last edited by ColinB on Thu May 05, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't sound like nobody !" - Elvis 1953

Alan
Site Admin

Re: September 1972 in general

Post by Alan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Excerpt taken from an interview with Dave Hebler by Bob Wilson:

Elvis Presley arrived at Dave Hebler’s martial arts studio in Glendora, California wearing a turban in 1972. “I didn’t know he was gonna come in dressed like that”, remembered Dave. An inquiry into why ‘E’ was adorned with this headgear was answered by the King remarking that his hair “looked like shit”. Dave made an impression on Elvis quickly with his ‘Kenpo’ proficiency and his no nonsense demeanor. He was given a ‘TCB’ necklace, and invited to join the Memphis Mafia in short order. Hebler says that he is “quite proud of the title” of the elite group of Presley insiders that he joined, although the term came “mostly from the media”.

I don't think these were studios that Dave Hebler owned but where his main studio was that he practised in and probably rented. Ed Parker was also there. It was on Alosta Boulevard.

Whist Elvis may have decided to wear a turban to cover up his hair, since when did he have a spare turban hanging around for such an occassion?

phpBB [media]

In full screen mode the video shows the start of Elvis signing the back of a Polaroid photo of himself and Barry Elwood at is becomes clearer at 1:15. It was the one Colin has posted above (bottom middle) taken moments earlier. Elvis turns it over and looks at it as it was still "wet" and he was leaving his fingerprints all over it. Click on the photo above and you can see the fingerprints.

1972_sep_ig_01.jpg

I believe it's likely that the day in question is a Saturday, making it the 9th, 16th, 23rd or 30th of September. 4pm and lots of younger people are already there that otherwise would have been coming home from school.
Elvis refereed a 2 hour karate event in which the excerpt above refers to and that when he shook hands he implied to Hebler that Hebler had assisted Elvis in the refereeing. Two days later a call is made to which Elvis then visits Hebler in his karate studio. Would like to know more about the event in question in order to narrow down a more accurate date.
To throw all that into question, when asked when did he start working for Elvis, Heblers reply was, "The second time I met him. On that occasion he came to my Kenpo Karate school in Glendora, Ca in July of 1972. He presented me with a gold TCB necklace and asked me to become one of his bodyguards. I said yes."
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “September 1972”