28th November 1972, Tuesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

28th November 1972, Tuesday

Post by Graeme » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Day number 13840Site Date Map
Yesterday << 28th November 1972, Tuesday >> Tomorrow

1972_nov_28_01.jpg
At the Hilton, LV.
After Ann-Margarets' second performance.

The photographer gave his account of taking the above picture in the May 1973 "Movie World" magazine.

1972_nov_28_02.jpg
1972_nov_28_03.jpg
1972_nov_28_04.jpg

Ann-Margret, from her autobiography, 'My Story' (1994) wrote:When Roger and I left our LA home after Thanksgiving 1972, and headed for the Las Vegas Hilton, we were consumed by the anxiety and press attention surrounding my comeback. We arrived at the hotel several days early in order to settle in before opening night on November 28. Elvis happened to be the headliner when we checked in, and was ensconced in the performer’s suite atop the hotel. We were in a suite a few floors below. I regarded Elvis’ presence as an extra bonus. I was pleased to know he was nearby, and I hoped we could connect somehow ... late one night as Roger and I entertained friends in our suite, Elvis and a few of the guys came by unexpectedly.

Despite the crowd, Elvis managed to get me alone at one end of the living room, where we conducted a conversation in hushed voices. It was kind of funny. I was worried about talking to him, while not being rude to my other guests, but he wanted to get personal. Suddenly he wanted to play catch up. He wanted to know all about the accident, my recovery, Daddy.

It was so easy for us to lapse into the closeness we’d always shared, but it was clear from some of Elvis’ comments that he really missed having me in his life. He missed having a friend, someone who understood him as well as someone he trusted. Neither of us noticed that Roger repeatedly walked by and tinkered with the thermostat on the wall in an effort to eavesdrop. We laughed about it afterward.

I eventually told Elvis all I could and then had to go back to our guests. He also had to prepare for his show. I knew that I’d hear from him again, though. And I did.

Late that night the phone rang in our bedroom. I knew who was on the other end, and I was pleased that Roger was in the living room next door. If he had answered the telephone, I suppose Elvis would have hung up, just like in the movies.

Elvis told me how great it had been seeing me earlier. I looked wonderful. His prayers for my recovery had been answered. But then his tone changed. Saying he was lonely, he asked if he could see me. It was a question I’d anticipated since afternoon but hoped that he wouldn’t really ask.

“You know I can’t." “I know,” he said. "But I just want you to know that I still feel the same.”

Return to “November 1972”