Billboard: The 20 Greatest Final Hot 100 No. 1 Hits of All-Time: Staff Picks

It's stuff about our main man
Private Presley

Billboard: The 20 Greatest Final Hot 100 No. 1 Hits of All-Time: Staff Picks

Post by Private Presley » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:50 am

https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... its-top-20

1. Elvis Presley, "Suspicious Minds" (1969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOBOhR ... rt_radio=1

How fitting that the King of Rock ’n’ Roll’s last No. 1 is one of his very best -- you wouldn’t want The King to go out on a dud. Presley recorded this song in Memphis in January 1969, when he was coming off his legendary comeback TV special (which aired the previous month). Elvis was back on top, and it shows in his performance. “Suspicious Minds” is notable for a very long fade -- which initially turns out to be a fake ending, guessing correctly that listeners hadn't gotten enough of the outro just yet. Elvis locks into a killer groove and stays with it for a good two minutes A very good two minutes.

Alan
Site Admin

Re: Billboard: The 20 Greatest Final Hot 100 No. 1 Hits of All-Time: Staff Picks

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am

(Sorry about the youtube tag not working - never has - back on the "to fix" list)

On a personal note I've overplayed this song, too much of a good thing.
But, recalling the things I used to love about it and what caused me to overplay it was the angst that Elvis was able to inject into his vocal and his frustration and yet he turned on a pleadingness as well when needed and all in perfect tune.

Songwriters and singer /songwriters can create a song that does one of them very well, but never the differing moods one after the other in the same song. Well who could ever perform it? There was only ever one....
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Private Presley

Re: Billboard: The 20 Greatest Final Hot 100 No. 1 Hits of All-Time: Staff Picks

Post by Private Presley » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:16 am

But I never get tired of listening to this one!!!

Return to “Elvis - We're talking the King”