So I thought I'd give a little background on some footage

It's stuff about our main man
Alan
Site Admin

So I thought I'd give a little background on some footage

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Yeah, as the subject says, I have spent a few hundred unhealthy hours because as Elvis fans that's the sort of stup.. fanatical thing we sometimes do, and I also thought that I'd share not only the extent but also the how and why and so forth.
So we have things like the TTWII complete Works which I'm sure most of you have and most of you have watched maybe once or twice because though it showcases all the footage in the best format it can of any release there's still something that's a bit wanting of it and it doesn't really always quite come off.

As with all the footage I've put up i don't just link to a youtube clip and say there, get on with it. I try and spend a bit of time with it, try and enhance it, even synch multiple angles up which for some of the shows we have on here have never been done publiclly before.
I've wanted to try and demonstrate the difference with some of the TTWII Complete Works footage so you can see the difference and what I did about it.
I've picked a clip at random, though I'm sure there are better examples, this August 4th 1970 rehearsal of you Don't Have To Say You Love Me is the one the dart landed in. I'm going to try and give you screen shots which hopefully (if I've thought this through correctly) will show the before and after for each "stage" / "element" (I don't know what to call it) and show the build up of how I've chnaged the footage (I wont say improved as that's down to personal taste I guess.)

So we are going to start with the first screen capture and i'll try and talk through it to one side of that image:
Different camera angles and also different sources have to be sliced up and each one treated differently.

footage_effects_01.png
Forget the apect ratio and the size they are self explanatory and not really relevant to the changing of the footage.
There are three main elements that I twiddle with:
Brightness / Contrast
Colour Levels
Colour Filter

footage_effects_02.png
I start with the Colour Filter.
First thing is the Saturation. with the TTWII non official clips moving it up to between 1.25 ad the full 2.00 on the slider is the parameters I use, though wierdly some has had to be turned down to 0.93, but that is unusual. For this clip I've gone for 1.67
The luminosity doesn't need too much, its hard to explain what this does in not many words but some might say it lightens the image, well yeah, kind of, but in certain areas only, so its not the same as using the brightness option.

footage_effects_03.png
So next is Colour Levels.
I find so much of this footage has a bias towards green. So I turn it down slightly.
To counter the green as well I increase the blue and red, in this clip by the same amount though I find often the blue needs slightly more than the red. This is now looking different from the first image, but stilll a little washed out.

footage_effects_04.png
Mostly finally is the Brightness and the contrast. these only need a tweak to make a lot of difference, without losing the integrity of the picture.
For this particular clip the Brightness has been turned down by just -0.02 and the Contrast up by +1.07
Sometimes I just slide up and down until you get that area when you hone in on it.
But look at the carpet, the wallpaper, Glen D. Hardins lost his green tinted hair.

So that's a bit crude and admittedly not the best clip to show the difference.
I'll put the same set up from the same song but from the other camera. I've spent all this time doing this demo and I really haven't used the best clip to demo this, but never mind.

footage_effects_05.png
No changes

footage_effects_06.png
Color Filter adjustment

footage_effects_07.png
Colour Levels adjustment

footage_effects_08.png
Brightness / contrast adjustment

footage_effects_09.png
Before / After

This was all done using a downloadable software called VideoMeld - it was free but limited up to 5 minutes in footage length.
I purchased a license for life for I think it was $25 which gives me unlimited time length and upgrades for life. Graeme had already purchased it but hadn't left me the code to use, but $25 is neither here nor there, in fact a bit of a barg in my eyes.
Now I'm no expert as you can see lol, but with a little difference it can be demonstrated that with slightly better professional software things like the Complete Works could have been done much better than they were - or is that the ploy? Buy it all over again for enhanced footage, well we'll have to wait and see I guesss.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Private Presley

Re: So I thought I'd give a little background on some footage

Post by Private Presley » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm

You are one Elvis anorak! :)

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Private Presley wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm
Well, I'll take the compliments no matter how backhanded they get :D :D :D

I'm probably into the novelty of my new video toy more than anything else. I've had it a while but only now getting the hang of some of the knobs and handles.

But it's good if we can be "different". Same old clips on loads of sites, who wants to add yet another site to the list? Not me. So "different" is good for us on here.

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 am

Alan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm
Private Presley wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm
Well, I'll take the compliments no matter how backhanded they get :D :D :D

I'm probably into the novelty of my new video toy more than anything else. I've had it a while but only now getting the hang of some of the knobs and handles.

But it's good if we can be "different". Same old clips on loads of sites, who wants to add yet another site to the list? Not me. So "different" is good for us on here.
It is really a sincere compliment. :)

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am

Private Presley wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 am
It is really a sincere compliment. :)
I know. Thank you.

I was using the moment to advertise that I'd take any compliments no matter what form from anyone :D :D :D

Return to “Elvis - We're talking the King”