Weekend Mail • The Truth About Me

HMV POP. 295HMV POP. 305Weekend MailHMV POP. 330HMV POP. 359RCA-1013HMV POP. 378RCA-1020HMV POP. 408RCA-1025HMV POP. 428
Alan
Site Admin

Weekend Mail • The Truth About Me

Post by Alan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 am

UK 78rpm singles • 19561957195819591960

• The Truth About Me
 • Weekend Mail
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: Weekend Mail • The Truth About Me

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 am

What a quirky little release this was. Mail order only via Weekend Mail magazine.
It would've cost you one shilling and nine pence of your hard earned newspaper round money for which you went to your post office and got a Postal Order.
I think you purchased three, one for one shilling, one for sixpence and one for threepence, I think threepence was the lowest denomination postal order.

postal_order_1s.jpg

10,000 of this Elvis pressing were pressed. Tommy Steele and Frankie Vaughan also had similar releases done. I purchased an Elvis one on line and they sent me the Tommy Steele one by mistake. It dawned on me the Tommy Steele one must have been rarer as less demand - but value wise that same demand is still reflected now - so I sent it back.
You wrote your address down in your neatest handwriting (well it had better be) and they cut it out and stuck it on the packet to send it to you.

HMV had nothing to do with this. There's no songs for which they had the license to press, so as far as I now there was no money in it for them.
The only reference is it says "The H.M.V. Recording Star" on the label.
These were all pressed by Decca, who would soon be pressing all Elvis releases for and on behalf of RCA.

This was a single sided release in that the other side was just a smooth finish. Whilst it was a 78rpm - it wasn't shellac but a hard vinyl and only 6 inches.
If you have the packaging with these then they are all unique as each one would have a diffent address on it.

To give a timeline the one I have with the packaging shows a London post mark of 17th June 1957, and a cost of 4d to send. There are many date stamped first half of March 1957, so it ran for some time.

the_truth_about_me.png

So, Master S. J. Small of 81 Samual Road, Portsmouth I hope you enjoyed the record. (Before the post code lol)

Because Tommy Steele was a Decca recording artist they went a bit more creative with the label for his release:

weekend_mail_tommy_steele.jpg
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “1957 UK 78 RPM Singles”