15th September 1956, Saturday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

15th September 1956, Saturday

Post by Graeme » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:00 am

Day number 7922Site Date Map
Yesterday << 15th September 1956, Saturday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 15th September 1956, Saturday

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:26 pm

Top text from Rebel With A Cause

NICK ADAMS: One weekend, Elvis, Gene and I went out on a cruise to Catalina. Mr Robert Webb, who directed Love Me Tender, invited us to go along with him and his wife on their cabin-cruiser and spend the weekend fishing and cruising around in the ocean. I picked up Elvis and Gene at the hotel and we drove over to Mr Webb’s house and, from there, we drove to Newport Beach where the cabin-cruiser was moored. On the way down, we talked about the motion pictures he had worked on. Mr Webb is a great guy. He told us a lot of funny stories about making pictures in the old days. When we got to Newport, we loaded up the boat with all the provisions we had brought along and we set sail. We had a fine weekend fishing, spotting all sorts of giant fish, and, during the trip, Mr Webb showed all of us how to operate the boat. We pulled into the bay off the shore of Catalina and moored the cruiser. The three of us flagged down a water taxi and headed for shore. As soon as we got to the landing, everyone began to recognize Elvis and, as we walked down the narrow streets of Catalina, a parade behind us began to grow and grow and grow.

* Robert Webb s wife, Barbara McLean, was an Oscar-winning Hollywood film editor — she won the Academy Award in 1944 for her work on the Darryl FE Zanuck production, Wilson — who headed Twentieth Century-Fox s editing division for many years until her retirement in 1969.

** On November 29, 1981, Natalie Wood drowned under mysterious circumstances off Catalina Island after falling from the yacht that she owned with her husband, Robert Wagner

phpBB [media]

So many sources have this video slowed down just for the sake of making it longer it seems.
Speed now corrected and also the last part which was very red and almost monochrome red has been adjusted as best I could.
I couldn't see Nick and Gene in the same shot so I'm guessing they took turns operating the camera? If so whose camera was it and what else was filmed?

The above 8mm footage that was recorded during Elvis’ visit to Catalina Island came to light in 1993 after David Naylor, the associate producer of the Elvis In Hollywood documentary, was put in contact with the original owner by members of the Jailhouse Rockers of Southern California Elvis Presley Fan Club.

This was filmed over the two days. Elvis wears two white tops, one with a plain white collar and the other with a red flash on the collar. Unsure which of the two days the shorts are from.

1956_sep_15_01.jpg
Signing an autograph
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “September 1956”