23rd September 1956, Sunday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

23rd September 1956, Sunday

Post by Graeme » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Day number 7930Site Date Map
Yesterday << 23rd September 1956, Sunday >> Tomorrow

Sidney Fields of the New York Daily Mirror had interviewed Galdys and Vernon a few weeks earlier and today, the first of five daily articles appeared.
The interview was syndicated and appeared in other publications later on, one of which was the Canadian newspaper the Winnipeg Free Press, a copy of the page is available in small format on the respective pubication day of 23rd November 1956, Friday
Sidney Fields wrote:
The Real Story Of Elvis Presley
He's So Good And Kind, Say His Doting Parents
Chapter 1
By SIDNEY FIELDS

"How can any boy brought up like mine be indecent or vulgar?" Elvis Presley's mother asked. "Especially when he's so good to us and his friends. Why, he always wants to do what's right."

I was visiting the mother and father of Elvis Presley in the nine-room ranch house he bought for them in one of the most exclusive sections of Memphis. Tenn. My purpose was to discover, if possible, WHAT is Elvis Presley. The logical starting point was his parents and his home. Mrs. Gladys Presley, whose middle name, curiously enough, is Love, is 39, plump, placid, and pious. She still somewhat bewildered, but happily bewildered, by the amazing success of her son, and hurt by the heated criticism leveled at him. Her husband, Vernon Elvis Presley, is 40, a gentle, graying, handsome man, as good looking as his son.

Gladys was 16, Vernon, 17, when they were married. "We've been married 23 years," Vernon Presley said, "we've never been apart except during the war when I worked away from home for two week stretches." They do have a deep bond between them, which is nice to watch, and they express it in a quiet kindness. Their maid. Alberta, who is unawed by the Presley furor, is the first they've ever had. When they learned that Alberta had to walk a mile from the last bus stop closest to their home, they bought her a 1953 Pontiac.

FROM TIME TO TIME the curious, adults as well as teen-agers, gather outside the Presley gates. If there are only two or three, Mrs. Presley invites them in and shows them through the house. Recently she opened her doors to two young women from Indianapolis (not teen-agers) and one produced a bottle and asked if she might fill it with water from Elvis' swimming pool. Both were crushed when they heard the pool was empty. But Mrs. Presley elated them again by allowing them to fill the bottle with water from the wash basin in Elvis' own bathroom.

"All of them want to see Elvis' room first." Mrs. Presley said. "And they're always so hushed when they see it." Then she asked, almost shyly: "Do you want to see it?" It's furnished in light-colored modern: Twin beds, an easy chair, radio and record player, record cabinets, bright beige curtains, a few pictures, of Elvis and Elvis' girl friends, and a walk-in closet with at least four-dozen suits and sport coats. Everywhere in the room were stuffed animals. Elvis has a passion for them, and dozens of them are all over the house: teddy bears, pandas, elephants, monkeys and dogs. Perhaps it's a manifestation of a young man who does not want to stop being a child.

"I TOOK HIM to carnivals when he was a kid." Mr. Presley said, "and taught him how to pitch baseballs at wooden bottles and win stuffed animals. He still does it. Last week he won a toy dump truck. It's in the living room." The living room with its sloped ceiling, exposed beams and wood walls, is mixed modern and traditional with a touch of gaudiness. Besides the stuffed animals, it has a small organ which Elvis plays by ear, five pictures of Elvis, including a painted portrait, two framed disk jockey awards and a framed gold record far the million-disk sale of "Heartbreak Hotel." On a table is a Bible Elvis won when he was It by singing in the First Assembly of God Church. "Elvis picked out everything with me to furnish the house," Mrs. Presley said proudly, "and he's always sending new things home. He sent so many lamps home I had to store most of them away."

ELVIS SPENT enough for the house, and probably another when he added such things as a 25-by 48-foot swimming pool, a two-car garage besides the two-car carport already there, and an iron fence all around the place, dotted with musical notes. "We've only been here eight months." said Mr. Presley, "and when Elvis called last night he told me he's thinking of a big farm, a farm." "He phones us every other night, no matter where he is," said Mrs. Presley. "'How's my babies?' he asks us. "We've always been very close. Why, to this day he gets frightened terribly when his father dives into the pool for fear he won't come up. He was always that way about us."

ELVIS ARON PRESLEY is their only child. He did have a twin brother, Jesse Garon, who died at birth. "That's why Elvis is so dear and special to us," Mrs. Presley said. Both parents come from Tupelo, Miss., and Elvis was born there too. Mrs. Presley was one of eight children and her father died when she was 12. She and her brother and sisters chopped corn and cotton until she met and married Vernon, who was a carpenter by trade. “We didn’t get to go to school," she said. Vernon didn’t graduate either. We can only read and write enough to get by. That’s why I always wanted my son to have an education."

The height of learning for them was a high school diploma, and they saw to it that Elvis got one. When Mr. Presley couldn't find work as a carpenter he drove a truck and labored in a paint factory. Mrs. Presley worked in factories, tended a coffee urn in a cafeteria, and was a nurse's aide. She never earned more than $25 a week. Her husband never more than $54. "We were poor,” Vernon added. “When I was sick my wife walked to work many times because she had no carfare. And many times we hardly had any lunch money to give Elvis. But we did eat and had clothes and a roof over our heads. Maybe we got them all on credit, but we had them. We never had much until three years ago, but Elvis never wanted for anything even when we were troubled. And we always taught him right from wrong as far as we knew, though we didn’t have hardly any education.”

THAT WAS ONLY three short years ago, and it was then that Elvis cut his first record, "That's All Right, Mama," stopped driving a truck, and began earning wealth, and fame. "He thought I should retire," Mr. Presley said, "and I agreed." His sole job now is handling his son's personal affairs in Memphis: The house, money, insurance, the Cadillac and Continental Elvis leaves at home. Mr. Presley sends the letters Elvis receives weekly only at home to a central office in Hollywood. A secretary in the house in Memphis tries to cope with the 500 letters a week that are addressed directly to the parents, from gushing well wishers, picture-hunters, or foggy promoters.

A GOOD SPRINKLING comes from indignant parents who are certain Elvis Presley is raising juvenile delinquency in America to new and horrifying heights. One of them compared his wiggling and warbling to a milk shake machine and a strip teaser going crazy at the same time. Elvis will earn well over a million this year, while parents, teachers, civic leaders and clergymen argue whether he's debasing or uplifting the morals of America's youth. “Those things hurt,” Mrs. Presley said. The mildest charge hurled against him is that he is obscene. Many, in the heat of anger, are sure he drinks and take's dope. Neither is true. "He never touched a drop of liquor in his life," his father said, "and he wouldn't know dope if he saw it."

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 23rd September 1956, Sunday

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:53 am

Most of the photos over these days are in the wrong dates. The ones Graeme included in the opening post are wrong, they are from the 24th.
The four above are unlikely to be from the 25th as Elvis didn't wear white strides that day, or maybe he did when I get the correct photos put in the correct date, but I had them down as the 29th. Nick Adams does refer to Elvis firing the BB gun at the back of the house (shooting apples??), but not sure what date that is off hand.

Edit: Moved Graemes photos from today to the 24th.
Edit: Moved Silverwings photos from today to the 24th
Edit: Moved PP's post with the BB Gun to the 25th
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 23rd September 1956, Sunday

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:34 pm

Copied from September 25th

In Rebel With A Cause '56, Nick Adams was quoted as follows ;_

NICK ADAMS: One evening, Elvis and I hopped into the Continental and, after first stopping off for a Frosty Freeze ice cream, we headed for a large toy store in the business section of Memphis. We went into the shop and spent a couple of hours buying and playing with all the new toys they had. Elvis told me, “Nick, I’m a pushover when it comes to toys.” Some of the toys this shop had were fantastic. We just about bought the place out. We bought some BB guns that night and we spent most of the next day shooting BBs at apples. We would try to shoot the top of an apple real clean like. We shot so many BBs that we were out five guns. A lot of Elvis’ fans came around the back of the house and looked over the fence and watched us shoot the guns. After a while, Elvis went over and visited with them, answered their questions and signed autographs.

The above falls under 25th September 1956.

I have a problem with that, or rather the photos that are dated with it.
They went out in the evening to get toys and BB guns.
Photos show bright day. So they must be the following day.
Can't be the 25th then shooting guns the 26th, or else Elvis is wearing the wrong clothes as he's got to get to Tupelo and for that he wears different clothes.

Nick Adams has the sequence of events from the negatives so he would have known to note the photos he'd taken chronologically.

But even if I had the freedom to put them in any order I wanted I can't make them fit.
The 25th fits except for the shooting them the next day bit.
Elvis is photo'd wearing the Sep 1st recording session shirt in three photos and they are sandwiched in between photos under the 25th with the rest having Elvis in his all whites.
Whatever date I pick and then try and run with, the photos dont work with what we know Elvis was doing.
Unless.....Elvis got the toys and guns on the evening of the 24th, but that doesn't fit using the three odd photos- unless its those that are wrong

Elvis took Barbara Hearn and Nick shopping and then to the movies on the evening of the 25th to see Johnny Concho.
He was in Tupelo on the 26th.
Doesn't fit with 27th, 28th 29th or 30th.

Possibly may have purchased them on the evening of the 24th and shot them the next day on the 25th. The three photos of him in the shirt are all that's left to puzzle over.
They appear to be from the fair - Elvis seemed to visit the fair nerly every day whilst he was in Memphis this week. Could they be from the evening of the 23rd? Middle one seems to be at the coconut shy with lot of stuffed pandas. This would then fit with everything else we have. No photos have surfaced correctly dated the 23rd, so maybe these are the only ones???

I'll copy this into the 23rd as well.

1956_sep_unknown_uk01.jpg
1956_sep_unknown_uk02.jpg
1956_sep_unknown_uk03.jpg
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “September 1956”