25th September 1956, Tuesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

25th September 1956, Tuesday

Post by Graeme » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Day number 7932Site Date Map
Yesterday << 25th September 1956, Tuesday >> Tomorrow

Sidney Fields of the New York Daily Mirror had interviewed Galdys and Vernon a few weeks earlier and today, the third of five daily articles appeared.
The interview was syndicated and appeared in other publications later on, one of which was the Canadian newspaper the Winnipeg Free Press, a copy of the page is available in small format on the respective pubication day of 26th November 1956, Monday
Sidney Fields wrote:
The Real Story Of Elvis Presley
He's All Right' Declare Home Town Folks
Chapter 3
By SIDNEY FIELDS

ASK the man or woman on the street in Memphis, Tenn.: "What do you think of Elvis and they say: "Any boy who's as good to his folks as Elvis is has got to be all right."

I put the question to a dozen people, including the cab driver, on my way to the home of Elvis Presley's parents in an exclusive area of Memphis. and they all had variations of that same answer.

I HAD COME TO Memphis to talk to his mother and father and try to find out WHAT is "Elvis Presley," and they had invited me to dinner one evening. They apologized for not serving it in the dining room of their ample nine room ranch house. It was littered with mail sent to the parents from all over America; which a full-time secretary is kept busy answering. Besides, they felt more at home in the dining area of their spotless kitchen.

After they said a prayer, Alberta, their colored maid, the first help they've ever had, served fried chicken, chicken gravy, huge slices of cucumbers and tomatoes, hot rolls, and later milk, pie, fruit and coffee. It was all delicious. We ate the chicken with our fingers, and Gladys Love Presley and Vernon Elvis Presley, unfettered and warm, talked of their famous, hard laboring and often sorely belabored son, away in Hollywood making his first movie, "Love Me Tender," for a reported $150,000 fee.

"HE MANAGES to call us every other night no matter where he's been," said Mr. Presley, who, three years ago, earned S54 a week in a paint factory and is now employed' by Elvis to handle Elvis' personal affairs. "He's been away a month now," sighed his mother, a portly, handsome woman. "That's the longest he's ever been away from us. He always gets home every two or three weeks. But he's due in Tupelo. Miss., at a fair on Sept. 26 and we'll see him before he goes back to finish his movie."

She put more chicken on my plate and Mrs. Presley chuckled. "When Elvis was nine he won fifth prize in a singin' contest at that same fair. A war stamp. The man who gave him the prize had a rough time gettin' him back this time for and a percentage of the gate."

AND THEY remembered their son's dreams for them. He started dreaming out loud quite early. Mrs. Presley dug back for her earliest recollection: "When he was hardly four he'd tell me: 'Don't worry, baby, when I'm grown up I'll buy you a big home and two cars. One for you and Daddy, and one for me.' All his life he'd say out loud what he was going to do for us, and he'd say it in front of other people. And you know. I believed him."

She passed the rolls and the cucumbers and the tomatoes and Mr. Presley offered me more chicken, and they both called up the memory of seven-year-old Elvis, sitting on the stoop of their house in their native Tupelo, watching the cars drive by and telling all those friends who would listen: "Some day I'm goin' to have two Cadillacs sittin' in my driveway."

HE HAS a Cadillac and Continental sitting in the driveway in Memphis for his parents and two other Cadillacs travel with him: one for his trio and one for himself. Over milk and fruit and pie and coffee they recalled his childhood feelings about them. Elvis was 5 when his father and a number of other men were helping put out a fire in a neighbor's house. Elvis screamed in fear when he saw his father join the men running into the house to salvage some of the neighbor's belongings.

"He was afraid his father wouldn't ever come out," Mrs. Presley said. "I just told him, 'Daddy will be all right, now, you stop that. And he did." Elvis was always afraid to see me dive into the water for fear I wouldn't ever come up," his father, Vernon Presley, said. "Thats why I think he never did learn to swim well. But he's a good water skier. Faster he goes, the better he likes it."

WHEN THEY WERE first married they struggled bitterly to keep their home together and give him everything the other boys had. "We always talked to him about getting an education," his mother said, "so it wouldn't be so hard for him as it was for us. He never did quit high school." Elvis' childhood recollections of his parents and his own drive made him look for full-time work while still in high school, and his pay went into the family kitty. He ushered in a movie house, made shells in a factory, was a shipping clerk for a furniture company, and when he was graduated drove a truck for an electrical equipment firm.

"AND HE STUDIED electricity at night school while working on the truck," Mr. Presley said. "He delivered the stuff and worked with the men on houses going up so's he could learn the trade." "And even when he was in school," Mrs. Presley said, he'd go around and pay the grocery bill, $30. We didn't ask him to. He'd just do it himself."

I searched their faces, and across my mind flashed the picture of their 21-year-old son six feet tall, 185 pounds, with the long side-burns and pegged pants, with the passion for clothes and Cadillacs, who sends millions of teen-agers into frenzied adoration and is damned with equal fervor by other millions. What words would these people, who readily admit they can barely read or write, what words could they find to "characterize" him?

"He’s a sympathetic boy, and tender-hearted," his father said. "It hurts him when someone thinks bad of him." He paused and added: "Maybe this will tell you what he’s like. He was usherin’ at the movies this time, and on his night off he was downtown with his friends and he sees this Salvation Army lady takin’ up the Christmas collection. But the box was empty. Elvis put his last $5 bill in it, and started drummin’ up a noise to get that box filled. It was filled."

"HE DOESN'T drink or swear," his mother said, pouring more coffee. "He's never sassed us, and he's never been uppity. Big people are still the same as little people to him and he's considerate of both the same way. We're country folk. He's a country boy, and always will be." Eagerly they went on to praise his abiding loyalty: He still buys his clothes in the same shop he patronized when he was driving a truck. "Know what that means to the shop?" Presley demanded. "He's just had to push his walls out and double his store."

The bass fiddler, Bill Black and guitarist Scotty Moore, who played the music when Elvis made his first record in 1953, are still with him. One of his earliest dates in Memphis was a girl named Barbara Hearn. She's still his date when he gets home. "No, he's not serious with Barbara," Mr. Presley said. "They're good friends and she's a nice kid. But Elvis has other dates, too."

HAS ELVIS any faults his parents can see? "To be plain with you, he's the easiest goin' guy you ever saw until he gets pushed or his mother said. "Then he gets mad, and he's a little too high tempered. But lots of people are." "We've always been able to calm him, to talk to him about his father said. "Except maybe his dates, and then we could talk to him if they were "the wrong girls," and he'd listen. He'll say something about a car he'd like to buy and I'll say, I wouldn't son, and he'll listen. Even now he obeys."

We left the table and walked through the rumpus room into the living room. Both parents looked around with a quiet happiness. "This is Elvis' home," Mr. Presley said. "He's never had no other home except with us." "And even when he gets married," his mother said, "part of him will always be here."

Private Presley

Re: 23rd September 1956, Sunday

Post by Private Presley » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:14 am

1956 Sept 25_Audubon 01.jpg
1956 Sept 25_Audubon 02.jpg
1956 Sept 25_Audubon 03.jpg
1956 Sept 25_Audubon 04.jpg
Brian Petersen dated these as Sept 25, 1956

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 25th September 1956, Tuesday

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:31 pm

In Rebel With A Cause '56, Nick Adams was quoted as follows ;_

NICK ADAMS: One evening, Elvis and I hopped into the Continental and, after first stopping off for a Frosty Freeze ice cream, we headed for a large toy store in the business section of Memphis. We went into the shop and spent a couple of hours buying and playing with all the new toys they had. Elvis told me, “Nick, I’m a pushover when it comes to toys.” Some of the toys this shop had were fantastic. We just about bought the place out. We bought some BB guns that night and we spent most of the next day shooting BBs at apples. We would try to shoot the top of an apple real clean like. We shot so many BBs that we were out five guns. A lot of Elvis’ fans came around the back of the house and looked over the fence and watched us shoot the guns. After a while, Elvis went over and visited with them, answered their questions and signed autographs.

The above falls under 25th September 1956.

I have a problem with that, or rather the photos that are dated with it.
They went out in the evening to get toys and BB guns.
Photos show bright day. So they must be the following day.
Can't be the 25th then shooting guns the 26th, or else Elvis is wearing the wrong clothes as he's got to get to Tupelo and for that he wears different clothes.

Nick Adams has the sequence of events from the negatives so he would have known to note the photos he'd taken chronologically.

But even if I had the freedom to put them in any order I wanted I can't make them fit.
The 25th fits except for the shooting them the next day bit.
Elvis is photo'd wearing the Sep 1st recording session shirt in three photos and they are sandwiched in between photos under the 25th with the rest having Elvis in his all whites.
Whatever date I pick and then try and run with, the photos dont work with what we know Elvis was doing.
Unless.....Elvis got the toys and guns on the evening of the 24th, but that doesn't fit using the three odd photos- unless its those that are wrong

Elvis took Barbara Hearn and Nick shopping and then to the movies on the evening of the 25th to see Johnny Concho.
He was in Tupelo on the 26th.
Doesn't fit with 27th, 28th 29th or 30th.

Possibly may have purchased them on the evening of the 24th and shot them the next day on the 25th. The three photos of him in the shirt are all that's left to puzzle over.
They appear to be from the fair - Elvis seemed to visit the fair nerly every day whilst he was in Memphis this week. Could they be from the evening of the 23rd? Middle one seems to be at the coconut shy with lot of stuffed pandas. This would then fit with everything else we have. No photos have surfaced correctly dated the 23rd, so maybe these are the only ones???

I'll copy this into the 23rd as well.

1956_sep_unknown_uk01.jpg
1956_sep_unknown_uk02.jpg
1956_sep_unknown_uk03.jpg
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 25th September 1956, Tuesday

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 pm

From Rebel With A Cause '56

NICK ADAMS: While we were having breakfast, Mr Presley was getting Elvis’ Messerschmitt sports car out of the garage. Elvis wanted to take me for a ride in it. It only seats two people and it looks like an airplane. It has a large glass cockpit which opens up the same way a plane does. Elvis got it for doing a show quite a while back. We finished breakfast and ran out to the driveway and got in the Messerschmitt. We waved goodbye to Mr and Mrs Presley and took off down the driveway [and] through the gates, which Mr Presley had opened, and turned left on Audubon Drive. I felt like I was in an airplane because of the cockpit, and I was sitting directly behind Elvis.

1956_sep_25_04.jpg
1956_sep_25_07.jpg
1956_sep_25_05.jpg
1956_sep_25_06.jpg

Elvis must have then gone back to Audubon Drive to change cars as Claire Lester doesn't describe a Messerschmitt below

1956_sep_25_03.jpg

Above: Elvis at Dixie Locke’s home at 878 Stafford Avenue, Memphis.
Claire Lester and one of Dixie’s sisters may also be in the photograph.

As recorded by Peter Guralnick in Last Train To Memphis: The Rise Of Elvis Presley, the first part of his two-volume biography, Elvis and Nick Adams visited Dixie Locke — Elvis’ first serious girlfriend — who disclosed that she was getting married. Elvis congratulated Dixie and wished her well.

CLAIRE LESTER: My husband Wallace and I owned a house at 878 Stafford that we rented to Dixie Locke’s family. We went over there one day to collect the rent, and we saw this long car parked outside. I said to my husband, “That has to be Elvis’ car. Nobody else would have a car like that!” We went inside the house and Elvis and his friend — Nick Adams, the actor — were there visiting with Dixie. Wallace and I sat down and talked with them for a while. It was a really friendly conversation.
Elvis and Nick were both so mannerly [and] just really nice people. We were getting ready to leave and Wallace started to go towards the door. Nick got up to shake hands, but Wallace didn’t see him. Nick was shaking his empty hand in the air following along behind Wallace. It was really funny. Elvis got the biggest kick out of that.

Whether it was when Elvis went back to change cars, or whether it was after the visit to see Dixie Locke, Elvis can be seen in the photos above, by Private Presley, shooting his BB gun at apples that he got the previous evening. (I think he looks cheesed off after hearing Dixies news)

BARBARA HEARN: We used to talk about how they made pictures and built up the stars. But now, since Elvis made a movie, he’s an expert at what goes on behind the scenes. When we saw Helen Of Troy, I could hardly hear the dialogue because Elvis began explaining how they did the fight-scenes and used doubles. Elvis likes me in casual clothes, full skirts and tight waists. He tells me when I look nice; he’s very thoughtful that way. Sometimes I wear my hair piled high in a bun and sometimes in a ponytail. But when I ask Elvis how he likes it best, he says, “Whatever way it happens to be.”

NICK ADAMS: That night in Memphis, Barbara Hearn went up town with Elvis and me to go to shopping. We stopped in a clothing store and, while I was looking around at some of the clothes, Barbara and Elvis scanned through the evening paper. All of a sudden, I heard a loud yell and then I knew that finally Elvis had found a theatre where Johnny Concho was playing. The three of us dashed out of that store so fast that the proprietor must have thought we were cracking up. We ran to the parking lot, jumped into the car and headed for the drive-in movie where the picture was playing. When we were coming home from the movie, it was about twelve o’clock at night and we spotted this ragged-looking man walking by the side of the highway. All of a sudden, Elvis drove down a side street and circled the block. He said, “I’m going to go back and give that man some money because he looks like he’s not doing too well.” As we came up to the spot where the man had been, there was no-one in sight. Elvis drove around looking, but we couldn’t find him. As we drove home he felt real bad because he was unable to find the man to help him out.

1956_sep_25_02.jpg
1956_sep_25_01.jpg
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “September 1956”