28th October 1957, Monday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

28th October 1957, Monday

Post by Graeme » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Day number 8330Site Date Map
Yesterday << 28th October 1957, Monday >> Tomorrow

1957_oct_28_01.jpg
Taken at the Pan Pacific Auditorium with
one of the opening acts, Paul Desmond
1957_oct_28_02.jpg

ColinB

Re: 28th October 1957, Monday

Post by ColinB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

From the UK Newspaper: 'i' - 28th October, 2021:

The i UK Newspaper - 28th Oct 2021.jpg
"I don't sound like nobody !" - Elvis 1953

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:20 am

Transcript

October 28 1957 - Pan Pacific Auditorium, Los Angeles, California

Elvis Presleys recent appearance at the Pan Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles has our Associate Editor, Dolores Diamond, scurrying over there with pen and camera for this backstage interview and exclusive pictures of Elvis, on and off the stage.

Elvis Presley, calm and collected, despite nine thousand screaming girls awaiting him out front, strolled in backstage, propped himself on the table, his legs dangling and swinging freely. Attired in a red jacket, a black shirt and pants, a yellow tie, and black shoes with a cool silver belt studded with rhinestones, he made a rather colourful figure. And a frank one, as you will see!

Dolores : Elvis, exactly how do you feel about all these interviews?

Elvis : The press makes entertainers, and the deejays, too. If the press didn't write, no one would know what you're doing. Everyone needs the press

Dolores : As the reputed King of Rock 'n Roll, how do you feel about the comments Frank Sinatra made railing Rock 'n Roll enthusiasts nothing but a bunch of 'cretinous goons' and the music itself as 'the martial music of every side-burned delinquent on the face of the earth'

Elvis : He has a right to his opinion, but I can't see him knocking it for no good reason. I wouldn't knock Frank Sinatra. I like him very much.
If I remember correctly, he was also part of a trend, just like Rock "n Roll. I think it's the greatest music ever natcherly 'cause it's the only thing I can do! If I were a pop singer, I'd prefer pop

Dolores : What pop singers do you dig most ?

Elvis : I like Pat Boone, the Four Aces, the Ames Brothers, Dean Martin, Tommy Sands, and Ricky Nelson real well. (Ricky, incidentally, was in the audience opening night, left in the middle of one of Elvis' numbers.) I like classical music, too

Dolores : Do you dislike anything?

Elvis : Who am I to sit here and knock someone else? If someone has strived for something, then it's OK. I don't dig in and question it.
I never knock anyone who's successful

Dolores : Is that your criterion? Anything which is successful is automatically good?

Elvis : Yes, I guess so

Dolores : Some critics have openly accuscd you of inciting juvenile delinquency. How do you feel about this?

Elvis : I don't understand it. Delinquency to me means robbing, knife fighting, and things like that. I've done nothing to cause that and I'd never set up a pattern like that for others to follow

Dolores : Do you think a lot about your fans?

Elvis : I sure do, I always try to conduct my personal life to set a good example for them. I think about this all the time

Dolores : Elvis, is it true that you don't smoke or drink?

Elvis : Yes

Dolores : Being in the public eye constantly must be quite a strain, especially dating. What are some of the limitations?

Elvis : Well, I can't roam around like I used to. Can't go to football games or other public places

Dolores : What do you do on a date?

Elvis : Well, usually we just ride around. I get mobbed if I go anyplace. Sometimes the girl comes up to my apartment and we have dinner there.
Sometimes we go to a drive-in for a hamburger, or we go to a real late movie

Dolores : What do you do in Memphis?

Elvis : Well, most of my friends are in Memphis. That's why I established a home there. We've been kicked out of the same places, you know, it's easier to be yourself there

Dolores : You've invited many girls to visit you in Memphis, Elvis. What happens when they get there?

Elvis (grinning) : Oh, we go motorcycle riding and to the movies. Nothing much

Dolores : Are you planning on taking any more gals to Memphis?

Elvis : File your application at the door, honey

Dolores : How many have gone so far?

Elvis : Five (He named off Venetia Stevenson, Natalie Wood, and several others I'd never heard of.)

Dolores : What about Yvonne Lime?

Elvis : Yeah, I forgot Yvonne. That makes six

Dolores : Who pays their fare?

Elvis : I pay all the expenses

Dolores : Do you still date any of these girls?

Elvis : I still see Venetia once in a while. I own three horses, take her riding

Dolores : (handing him comment in 'Modern Teen' listing Anita Wood as his "number one girlfriend") Would you care to comment on this caption?

Elvis : (reading it very seriously) Yes, I would. There's no truth in it. What happened was Anita was seeing me off at the station. A reporter approached, a photographer told me to kiss her and I did. The reporter said, "Number one?" I said, "Yeah, sure" and boarded the train.
I was half-way to California before I realized what he meant. By then, it was in the papers that she was my number one girlfriend.

Dolores : Is there a current number one girlfriend?

Elvis : I've felt close to falling in love a couple of times. In fact, I almost was engaged twice before I got into show business. But I don't care enough for one girl to be identified with them. Honey, I prefer to date 'em all until I find the right one

Dolores : Do you feel that any of these girls have dated you tor publicity or to further their own careers?

Elvis : Yes, several (He gallantly refused to name them)

Dolores : What prevented you from getting involved at the last minute with some of these girls?

Elvis : It's funny, but if you don't care for the gal, it'll come out. What happened was I discovered that I didn't care as much as I thought I did. So now I let things ride. In a way, it's lucky I didn't get tied up

Dolores : Can I say, on the record, that you have no romantic interests as of this interview?

Elvis : I am not in love now. But I can't guarantee about tomorrow

Dolores : Any preferences in women?

Elvis : I don't favor any one type. I like girls!

Dolores : Getting back to your career, you've undoubtedly heard that some writers have printed that Presley is on the decline, that your popularity is waning. Do you think it is?

Elvis : Well, about the reports that I'm through, this is a new one. I haven't noticed any decline. Anyway, you can't stay on top forever. Even if I stopped singing tomorrow, I'd have no regrets. I had a ball while I was there

Dolores : Financially, you're pretty well off, aren't you, even if you retired tomorrow?

Elvis : I don't know exactly how much I've made. It's over a million a year

Dolores : Gross or net?

Elvis : Gross, I believe

Dolores : Don't you have some 20-year contract, too?

Elvis : My RCA Victor recording contract calls for a moderate salary over a 20-year period. Then I have two music publishing companies, plus the Elvis Presley Enterprises." (The latter sells everything from Presley photos and buttons to lipsticks, shirts, and other wearing apparel

Dolores : How many personal appearances have you made?

Elvis : Last year I did 87, this year only 20. (For two appearances in Los An- geles, about an hour total on the stage, Elvis cleared $65,000!)

Dolores : How much did your films 'Loving You' and 'Love Me Tender' gross?

Elvis : I wouldn't know. Hal Wallis didn't tell me

Dolores : He doesn't have to tell you, Elvis. You can get the figures from Variety or the trade magazines. Don't you read them? What do you read?

Elvis : I read 'Superman' and 'Captain Marvel'

Dolores : What about news magazines or newspapers?

Elvis : I don't have time to read

Dolores : What sports do you go in for?

Elvis : Well, I don't particularly like baseball. I like football and boxing. I played football myself once, and I enjoy watchng the 'Peewee Leagues'. As for fighting, I watch them on TV". My favorites are Sugar Ray Robinson and Rocky Marciano. I know Rocky very well.
He was going to teach me how to fight, but I chickened out

Dolores : Would you like a role in films as a fighter?

Elvis : You bet, a singin' fighter. Actually, I'd like to do a straight dramatic show. I'm betting on an acting career

Dolores : Some critics have said that Colonel Parker, your manager, and you have a Svengali-Trilby relationship. Is this true?

Elvis : Huh?

Dolores : Elvis, do you obey Colonel Parker? Does he rule your private life?

Elvis : Heck, no. Colonel Parker only advises me on business matters and that's all! I'm young, have to do what I want. I hardly ever see him

Dolores : Elvis, you've had quite a few Gold Records marking sales of over a million. What is your favourite song to date?

Elvis : Dolores, I wish you'd straighten out somethin' right here. Many magazines have printed that I have eight Gold Records, but I believe in giving a man credit for what he's done, and I've had 19 Gold Records! My favorite is 'Don't Be Cruel'

Dolores : What was the hardest song for you to sing?

Elvis : 'Jailhouse Rock.' It's the hardest song to sing that I've ever recorded. My tongue practically falls out on this one.
A quarter million of my Xmas album have sold to date!

Dolores : Say, why did you change 'Blue Moon' all around?

Elvis : Honey, when I recorded 'Blue Moon', I didn't know the words to it. When I got to the bridge, I just started yelling

Dolores : Elvis, what was the first song you ever sang?

Elvis : Old Shep' was tlie first song I ever did in iny life; I won $5 in a contest singin' it

Dolores : Now what about all the gyrations you fo through when you sing ?

Elvis : I wasn't aware of what I was doin' until people told me. I Just sing like they do back home. When I was younger, I always liked spiritual quartets and they sing like that

Dolores : It is commonly stated that 'The Singin' Idol' which Tommy Sands did on TV and now is doing for films is a thinly veiled biography of you. Is it really?

Elvis : I didn t see it on TV. From what I hear, the only similarity between it and me is that we both were singers. My grandfather isn't dead yet.
I just heard from him last week.
And that character's manager was nuthin' like the Colonel! (The audience started screaming and applauding for an act which preceded Elvis. He Jumped to his feet, ran over to see who was on) (Laughing) I can t have any of that, applauding for someone else!

Dolores : How do you feel when the girls scream for you?

Elvis : Well, I figure it doesn't last, so I might as well enjoy it while I can

Dolores : Are you nervous at this moment?

Elvis : I'm a little shaky. I go on stage and then I relax, after I start singin'

Dolores : Do you ever forget your lyrics?

Elvis : Sometimes, but no one knows it. They can t tell what I in singin'. anyway.
I never rehearse; the band travels with me and knows all my numbers. Of course, I have to rehearse for TV shows and for movies

Dolores : What goes on ahead of you?

Elvis : I have no idea. I haven't seen the other acts. I get out there and sing for about 50 minutes, do about 17 numbers, all of the favourites

Dolores : Would you say you prefer this type of personal appearance, say to a nightclub appearance in Las Vegas?

Elvis : Ouch! Two years ago, I laid the biggest egg of my life in Vegas. The older groups just don't go for Rock 'n Roll.
My ego went through the floor with that one! There were good crowds, but no response like in a teenage audience.
I felt like I was pulling a booboo

Dolores : Do you have lines in this act?

Elvis : No, I ad lib strictly. When I come off that stage, I look like I've been through a meat grinder

Dolores : Elvis, do you read music?

Elvis : No. And I can't play the guitar, either

Dolores : What do you do with it if you don't play it?

Elvis (laughing) : I use it as a brace

Dolores : Well, your name is listed on the credits of several hit tunes as the author. How do you write music if you don't read it?

Elvis : It's all a big hoax, honey. I never wrote a song in my life. I get one-third of the credit for recording it. It makes me look smarter than I am.
I've never even had an idea for a song. Just once, maybe

Dolores : When?

Elvis : I went to bed one night, had quite a dream, and woke up all shook up. I phoned a pal and told him about it. By morning, he had a new song -'All Shook Up'

Dolores : How do you leave a show without causing a riot?

Elvis : Everything is pre-arranged. I'm just like a robot getting in and out. I just follow along, that's all.
I leave before the audience knows I'm out of the building. They tell me to be at a certain door by 10:10 and I am! No bows, no curtain calls.
I finish the last number, and away I go

Dolores : Do you study the day's rushes when you make a movie?''

Elvis : I sure do. I always critiiize myself in films. When I attend a movie theatre, I'll get up and leave during the numbers I don't like.
Then I come back in after they're over

Dolores : Do you have a teenage audience when you re singing in a movie?

Elvis : In 'Loving You' I did, but in Jailhouse Rock' I had to sing without a live audience, and it was a lot harder

Dolores : What did they finally do with your sideburns?

Elvis : They covered them with make-up, I'm keeping them as long as I can, that is, until they draft me

Dolores : Elvis, do you think you'll ever return to school and further your education?

Elvis : No, I see know point in studying. I don't think I need it, do you? But there is one thing, I'd like to be a good actor.
I'm always striving to be natural in front of the camera. That takes studying, of a sort

It was time for the show, so we terminated the interview. Elvis Presley is quiet, courteous, and freer with his quips than expected.
He's shrewd, so don't under estimate him. He'll be around for a long, long time.
Incidently, he is quite tall, much-better looking than his photographs with a clear complexion and dark blue eyes.
He changed into his gold lame jacket with sparkling lapels and went out to mesmerise the audience, all 9,000 of them

(Source : 'Dig' Magazine - June 1958 - Thanks to Richard Otis)

https://www.keithflynn.com/essential_li ... 1950s.html

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:47 am

And here is the article
Dig Magazine Cover.jpg
Dig Cover
Dig Magazine Article 01.jpg
Dig Magazine Article 02.jpg
Dig Magazine Article 03.jpg
Dig Magazine Article 04.jpg

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:23 am

She was very pushy, wasn't she?
Dolores : How much did your films 'Loving You' and 'Love Me Tender' gross?

Elvis : I wouldn't know. Hal Wallis didn't tell me

Dolores : He doesn't have to tell you, Elvis. You can get the figures from Variety or the trade magazines. Don't you read them? What do you read?
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 am

The Press Conference Interview - October 28, 1957

Q: Unknown.
A: 'I don't sing. I yell'.

Q: Do you intend to change your presentation due to national criticism?
A: I can't. It's all I can do.

Q: When will you write more songs?
A: That's all a hoax. I can't even read music.

Q: What about your guitar?
A: Can't play it--use it as a brace.

Q: What's your emotional power over women? (Asked by a female reporter).
A: 'Gosh..' replied Elvis, whispering something inaudible into a mike provided for the occasion.

Q: 'Read this!' snapped another reporter, shoving a magazine article into Elvis' hands. It was an article written supposedly by Frank Sinatra attacking the institution of rock 'n' roll music.
A: 'I admire the man, he has a right to his own opinions,' carefully replied the blackshirted Elvis.

Q: That's all you have to say?
A: You can't knock success.

Q: Are you considering marriage?
A: No, he's enjoying playing the field too much.

Q: How long do you intend to wear your 2-inch sideburns?
A: Until Uncle Sam makes him shave them off, perhaps soon. He's 1-A.

Q: How much money are you making?
A: Over $1 million a year, he's not sure of the exact figures.

Q: What do you think of rock 'n' roll?
A: It's the greatest ever, mainly because it's all I can do!

1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 01.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 02.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 03.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 04.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 05.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 06.jpg
1957 OCT 28 Press Conference 07.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 01.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 02.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 03.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 04.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 05.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 06.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 07.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 08.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 09.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 10.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 11.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 12.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 13.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 14.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 15.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 16.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 17.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 18.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 19.jpg
]
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 28.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 29.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 30.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 31.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 20.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 21.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 22.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 23.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 24.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 25.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 26.jpg
1957 Oct 28_Pan Pacific Auditorium, LA 27.jpg
I found this 2 newspaper accounts of the concert on the net, no source was credited.
1957_pan_pacific_newspaper.jpg
Oct 28, 1957 news report.jpeg

Return to “October 1957”